Monday, August 6, 2007

So, what's this blog?

So... I'm really really steamed up about this. I'm gonna make this blog seperate from my main one, because its a sensitive issue, but its one that really really needs talking about. Up front, in public, not in some boring symposium or charity forum, good work that they're doing.

If you know me (and if you don't, I'll tell you anyway): I'm a California girl, I've been travelling the Pacific Rim the last three months or so. (If you know me, see my other blog for the happier details. If you don't, tough boots). So, and I decided to spend some time in Thailand because it's a really devout Buddhist country, and also to visit the Full Moon Festival in Ko Phangnan (supposed to be cool - wasn't). And while I was there I stayed on Ko Samui for a few days, and that was like a mega-shock. I sorta knew about Bangkok being a Mecca for sex tourists but in Thailand it's like everywhere, at least where any tourists (even families!!!!) go. It's so in-your-face, you'd have to be a blind nun in a wheelchair not to notice it.

OK, I'd say I'm a quite open-minded person, I mean they don't call it the world's oldest profession for nothing, and I really think it's like a kind of therapy or release valve for guys who really need it or can't get it any other way. So you see these fat old guys in their disgusting singlets hand-in-hand with their little bought girlfriend and you think "GROSS", but maybe if they didn't have that they'd be doing worse worse things, and from what I hear the girls in Thailand don't have pimps or handlers (except the bar owners - they have things called bar fines, that's a whole other post), so I guess the money is at least staying with the girls and they can save for a better future.

But this what really shocked me, and this is really like OMG how can they do this, you look around and it's not just the old fat guys. It's any guy. EVEN THE YOUNG GOOD-LOOKING ONES. Wtf are they thinking!?!? I mean, like at this party, there were loads of ravers, I'd guess 18 upwards to about my age (mid 20s), and a few ageing hippies of course. And there were all these Thai girls come over from Samui and they were like going with the guys, FOR MONEY. Believe me, I saw it happening, and heard guys talk about it, boast about it like they'd scored a real woman.

These guys are gonna have to get a dose of reality, or theyre gonna mature thinking all women are easy and CAN BE BOUGHT. And when they leave Fantasyland and get back home to the States or wherever, they're gonna end up sad and frustrated because they won't have the faintest idea how to treat real women.

So yeah, I'm like totally mad. This has so spoiled my time in Thailand and made me look at the Human Race (especially the half of it with some real dicks) with like totally new eyes. But I'm not gonna sit here and just rant - I'm gonna do something about it. Maybe it'll just be a drop on a hot stone as they say, but this girl aint gonna say she just lay back and let it happen.

Right now I'm in Bangkok and I'm gonna see what organisations I can get in touch with so we can get this out in the open. I'll be posting here as things develop and i find new facts.

No comments: